Twelve course units of study are ordinarily completed over a two-year period. Nine courses are required; three are electives.
The practicum requirements include: ongoing personal spiritual direction; the initial Practicum in Spiritual Direction (RGP3661H); completion of an eight-day directed retreat; Retreat in Everyday Life (RGP3248Y, summer session). Each course includes the practice of spiritual direction with supervision. The final two phases of the practicum (RGP3269H) include an eight-month practice of spiritual direction with supervision, a 20 page integrative theological reflection paper and a pastoral competency interview. See below for specific requirements.
All students are required to maintain an electronic portfolio that documents their progress through their programs.
DSD PROGRAM OUTLINE
(concurrent with a Master of Arts in Ministry and Spirituality Program student)
Pastoral Study: 5 Units
- RGP3281H Religious Experience in the World's Religions (Effective September 2009)
- RGP3687H Integration for Ministry I: Practicum & Seminar
- RGP3688H Integration for Ministry II: Practicum & Seminar
- RGP3214H Spirituality and Culture
- Pastoral Elective: This elective is usually related to spiritual direction and discernment
Moral Theology: 1 Unit
- RGT1905H Ethical Reflection on Pastoral Practice
Electives: 2 Units
- Students select two electives which are related to scripture, spirituality, history, prayer, human growth and development, or psychotherapy and spiritual direction.
Supervised Pastoral Component:
4 Units including Praxis
- Phase I: RGP3/6661H - Introductory Practicum in Spiritual Direction.
- Phase II: RGP3/6248Y - Summer session. Retreat in Everyday Life.
- RGP3/6269H - Supervised Practice and Appropropriation of the Ministry of Spiritual Direction.
This encompasses the learning processes in Phase III and Phase IV below.
- Phase III: Eight-month practice of spiritual direction under supervision.
- Phase IV: A final, integrative theological reflection paper and a pastoral competency interview.